The 5 facts you need to know when dealing with club feet in foals!
- Club feet happen when there is a contraction (shortening) of the deep digital flexor tendon or check ligament.
- Club feet can happen on a single foot or multiple feet.
- You can work on a foal with club feet as soon as 1 day old.
- Most foals with club feet do not need surgery.
- Corrective timing and shoeing is the first line of defense for club feet problems
Get a NO Charge Consult in our Podiatry Day March 18 2019
Get a NO Charge Consult in our Next Podiatry Day!
Call us at 352-307-3690 for a free consult
What do we do to fix it ?
Your Veterinarian might want to treat medically the first day. Sometimes oxytetracycline and splint bandages
Your farrier will trim the heals as soon as possible.
A corrective shoe can be placed as soon 2 weeks after birth.
If this is not done soon enough, or if this does not correct the problem, then check ligament surgery might be necessary
Our podiatry team can help you and your foal with club feet. Find out when is our next podiatry day and visit us for a FREE EXAM